Saturday, May 23, 2009

The coasts, the coasts

Finally having a scanner at my disposal, months after the quick end to a failed experiment in sharing, I'm resuming. I was on a vacation to France and Italy recently. I wanted to use the free time to dig a little deeper into my sketching.



I got frustrated after a while. I was thinking way too graphically. My drawings had no emotional content to them, maybe because they weren't remotely situational. There isn't any sign that I'm traveling here.


A dream-vision I had, right before falling asleep, when thinking about Rafiki:


A little caricature I made of the mayor of new york giving a speech after the death of Nikola Tesla, the inventor. The mayor is reading a eulogy written by a famous author, and though he probably only knows a little about Tesla's story, he reads it with a lot of passion. The reading was broadcast over the radio a half century ago and it's quite passionate so I felt like doodling my imagining of it. Note my first ever (probably) use of a little motion blurred finger:

The last drawings I made before I burned out and decided I needed to stop drawing and pay attention to my surroundings, because I wasn't engaging my travels enough.

1 comment:

Nick Sung said...

DUDE! Beautiful drawings. I love that woman in the sunglasses in the first spread. She feels real.

And good call on the situational thing; I know that for me this has become an important aim: to show exactly where I was and how it felt to be there. A good goal to strive for.